Sunday, September 2, 2012

SHU Course Structure

SHU COURSE STRUCTURE (BA HON ACCOUNTING & FINANCE)

I am taking Accounting & Finance course in SHU.
We are required to attend 2 hours lecture and 2 hours seminar for each subject in a week.

As an accounting student, we are required to choose 3 subjects out of 4 subjects.
  • Strategic Management Accounting (SMA)
    (Compulsory for AFA students)
  • Corporate Reporting (CR)
    (Compulsory for AMA students)
  • Corporate Finance (CF)
  • Professional Accountant Skills for Business Decision (PASBD)
    (Compulsory for all accounting students - 100% course work based subject)
I was from AMA, so I can only choose either SMA or CF as CR and PASBD are already the compulsory subjects to me !
Then I chose CF :)

Syllabus :
  • SMA
    It covers a number of topics from the subjects we studied before in TARC namely Management Accounting, Performance Management, Strategic Management
  • CF
    It covers syllabus similar to paper F3 - Financial Strategy (CIMA) / paper F9 - Financial Management (ACCA)
  • CRIt covers UK accounting standards, etc. More towards theory !
    It is almost the same as the Financial Reporting and Corporate Reporting we learnt in TARC before. 


The above 3 subjects assessment is :
- 70% (Final Exam)
- 30% (Course Work : Assignments/Phase Tests)




My CR lecturer/tutor : Dr. Prabhu Udawatte
He is good :) 

My CF tutor : Mr Moshfique Uddin !
He is good as well !


  • PASBD (100% Coursework)
It is something similar with FDM (Financial Decision Management) that we learnt in TARC. 
I found that PASBD is very useful to me in preparing me for my future career !
This is the module where I learnt Communication Skill, Soft Skill, Presentation Skills !!

I could remember what our lecturer (John Joyce) told us : "Walk the walk, not talk the talk !"
It means we should experience the things ourselves, not just talk !

This module help us to walk the walk !
This is because we will be constantly assigned with different teammates by our lecturer to work for different case studies and presentations EVERY WEEK !
We cannot choose our teammates ! This is because we can't choose our teammates when we are working in the future too ...
I know that how important is the teamwork from this module ... 
Hence, I knew a lot of friends through this module too ! haha

During our weekly PASBD sessions, your works will be openly criticized by the evaluators. 
Of course, some of the students including me will be frightened and stressed at the first time. I could remember how the evaluators criticized and advice us ! 
We will receive a constructive feedback that help us to improve and improve again for our next week task.

Most of the students here may find it hard to adapt to PASBD requirements during the first few weeks here, including me as we are under consistent stress.
Eventually, we get better :)

In short, I must say that I enjoyed PASBD. 






We learn the things through watch video in the lecture !

Our super creative BATMAN lecturer - John  !!
How cool is that !
TARC lecturers might try this out in the future ? hehe

My first cycle teammates !
From left to right : Christ, William, Su Ping and me

We went Chinos after presentation ! hehe

Second cycle teammates
From left to right : Yu En, me, Bee Sian, Yee Mong


Third cycle teammate
From left to right : Me, Emily, Huang, Xingyi


Forth cycle teammates
From left to right : Winter & Susan

Me & Padma


No comments: